Sunday, August 29, 2010

Random Summer Thoughts

During a preseason in which so much has been written about the upcoming season for the Iowa Hawkeyes, and in a preseason in which the discussion of Big Ten expansion and division alignment dominated the news cycle, it is comforting to know that college football fans will actually be able to watch games in less than a week rather than arguing and debating about win-loss predictions and where Iowa will be placed in the new look Big Ten in 2011. Before I begin my regular format of writing my thoughts prior to each game and my thoughts after each game, I wanted to give my thoughts on some random Iowa football items.

Conference Alignment. It appears that my prediction of how the Big Ten will be divided will be wrong; although I am not sure many people would have originally predicted that Michigan and Ohio State would be in opposite divisions. While it sounds as though the announcement of the divisions is only weeks away, the new public relations director of the Big Ten, Barry Alvarez, has confirmed that Iowa and Wisconsin will be in separate divisions. If that means that Iowa is in the same division as Nebraska and Michigan, then I am content with the alignment; however, if Iowa is put in the same division as Ohio State and Penn State without an annual matchup with Nebraska, include me with the Iowa fans who will be in an uproar. Instead of speculating on the what ifs of conference alignment, however, I am going to take Kirk Ferentz’s approach on the topic and just wait and see what happens.

Camp News. Fortunately, summer camp this year did not yield any earth-shattering news in terms of injuries or areas of concern. Following the Big Ten Network’s visit to Iowa City, it sounds as though the offensive line made some good impressions on Gerry DiNardo and Howard Griffith, which is encouraging given that the offensive line is arguably the largest question mark entering the season. Based on comments from the Big Ten Network’s visit and various other reports out of Fort Kinnick, it sounds as though Jewel Hampton looked very impressive and should give the Iowa backfield a one-two punch at the running back position along with Adam Robinson. While Kirk Ferentz has not stated which true freshmen will not redshirt this season, if I were a betting man, my guess is that James Morris will see playing time on special teams, and that De’Andre Johnson will receive a few carries at running back.

Position Battles. The first depth chart of the season still listed several “ors” at certain positions, including center and kicker. If I were to set forth a guess as to the starting center, I would probably select James Ferentz, which is based solely on the fact that on the Big Ten Network preview show, he appeared to receive all of the repetitions with the first team offense. The kicking game still appears to be a large question mark and an even battle between Daniel Murray and Trent Mossbrucker, which will likely continue well into at least the Arizona game.

As you might have noticed, I have not yet given my prediction for this season. While several writers, including ESPN’s Ivan Maisel and HawkeyeNation.com founder Jon Miller, have predicted an undefeated season for the Hawkeyes, the offensive line, the kicking game, and the loss of AJ Edds and Pat Angerer have me concerned. In my post this week with my prediction for the Eastern Illinois game, I will also give my prediction for Iowa’s win-loss record for the season. Until then, enjoy the first three days of the work week, as the college football season kicks off on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment